On 2024/07/17 06:34, Andrew C Aitchison via mailop wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2024, postfix--- via mailop wrote:
>
> > On 2024-07-16 14:36, Bjoern Franke via mailop wrote:
> > > Which iPhone / Android clients do you mean?
> >
> > last time I tested Apple Mail, my IMAP server logged
> > requests from Apple's network.
> >
> > On Android, I do not use Gmail.  I use a client that
> > pulls regularly the IMAP.  The trade-off is battery
> > duration:  the client wakes up the phone every time it
> > checks for email, even if there are no new emails to
> > pull.
>
> IMAP IDLE exists to save the client from polling, by pushing
> a notification when a new message becomes available.
>
> Does that play nicely on phones ?

Not entirely, because the mail client needs to stay running to keep
the TCP connection active (and send keepalives etc).

For those clients where the IMAP connections come from Apple/Google/...
they'll use a platform-native messaging system (Apple Push Notification
Service, Google Firebase Cloud Messaging) which is used as a channel for
notifications for various apps, so there's only one app that needs to
wake up for the routine ability to handle push notifications, then other
apps only need to wake up when there's work to do.

For Android it's still possible to disable battery saving for an app so
that it can handle things itself if wanted; AFAIK Apple doesn't allow
this any more.