On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Jonathan Swartz wrote:

> I like the wiki idea very much in principle - it's why I started the masonhq
> wiki years
> ago. The reason it was disabled was because of the constant spam (including
> obnoxious porn
> spam) - it was too much effort to keep up with. If someone has a good
> solution to this, or
> is willing to volunteer to keep a wiki clean :), I'm all ears. The best
> defense against
> wiki spam is a sufficient audience mass, and unfortunately Mason HQ fell
> below that.

Github offers a wiki as part of a project. Why not use that?

I imagine their spam detection is much better than anything we ever
could've done on our own with Mason HQ.

> I'm interested in creating the most powerful Perl templating framework that I
> can, even if
> that means having dependencies like Moose and requiring a little extra
> startup time.
> I have not considered Mouse support although I suppose it is a possibility
> down the line.
> I'm really hoping that Moose will gradually get faster to the point where
> this won't matter. :)

Me too!

There is work on moving some of what Moose does into a core Perl 5 MOP
(meta-object protocol). This is probably the first step towards
significantly speeding up Moose, without requiring us Moose devs to do
absolutely insane things. If we're lucky, MOP v1 will be in Perl 5.18, but
I'm not really working on the MOP stuff, so don't quote me.

> I've little interest in trying to make Mason 2 "lightweight" enough for
> standard CGI.
> Honestly given the ready availability of mod_perl, FastCGI, and Starman, I
> don't
> understand why standard CGI is even considered a viable option anymore (but
> I'm sure
> diehard CGI fans will yell at me for saying this).

I need to deply on my $4 per century hosting, but I need to use all the
latest software, and I expect everything to just work even though I can't
install CPAN modules, get a shell, or use more than 8MB of memory.

Of course, while I joke, this is exactly why PHP has been so insanely
popular, so there's a lot to be said for actually making this work.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)