Eric Woudenberg wrote:

>It is my hunch (okay, I'll stick my neck out and call it a prediction)
>that DVD-A will not make it. Reason: it does not provide a
>sufficiently compelling difference in audio quality over CDs.

My opinion (and I have discussed this in some length here before) is that
DVD-A with it's theoretical almost 90KHz bandwidth and 144dB dynamic range
(at 192Ks/s 24 bit) is a complete waste of time for human listening.  The
current CD PCM format is theoretically more than sufficient to please even
the best human ears.  In practise, many problems present themselves but they
can be mostly overcome by oversampling and digital filtering techniques.

Part of the problem is the fact that sampling periods (during A-D
conversion) are not infinitely small, causing averaging that will affect the
accuracy of subsequent D-A conversion.  Overcoming this requires better A-D
convertors, and simply using a higher sampling rate and width (which is done
for CD mastering anyway) does not mean that the sampling period is smaller.
If better convertors with smaller sampling periods are developed (as they
inevitably will be), CDs will benefit just as much as any other higher
resolution format.

To sum it up, DVD-A will only store huge amounts of redundant information,
and the space could much better be used to increase the playing time, or to
add video.....now there's an interesting idea, huh???  How about ATRAC on
DVD, for 160hrs playing time?

-cb