Hi David!

Thankx for that big guidance :)). I think it's not so important if I
miss a few seconds. I'll buy a portable soon, but one which cannot
record, because the MDS-JE510 is enough and I don't need to
record something when I'm outside. I thought of buying a Sharp MD-
S301 (Btw.: Anyone knows if this one is good? Does someone
have this device?).

Greetz, DeeKay/Matthias

> Matthias asked,
>
> | Does it hurt my device if I record 9hours
> | without a break? Because there is a big DJ Event on a German
> | Radio station and I don't want to stay up till 5o'clock in the morning
> | for listening to it (I'll set my alarm clock for every 74mins:>)
> | I've the famous Sony MDS-JE510 (Japanese Version :>)
>
> The unit ought to be able to record for nine hours (for a Malaysian 510, I
> wouldn't be so confident); the only thing is, if you get up only every
> seventy-four minutes, no matter how quickly you spring out of bed and get
> over to the 510 (or no matter how quickly you reach for the 510 if it's next
> to your bed), there's going to be time to write the TOC of the disc that
> you're about to remove, time to switch discs, and time for the 510 to read
> the TOC of the new disc.  If you do that during a break or a commercial, no
> big deal, but if they are in the middle of something you want to hear you can
> miss thirty seconds of it to do a disc switch.
>
> Best thing would be to borrow a second recorder, and do something like this
> schedule, starting just before 8 PM:
>
> 1959: insert disc 1 in unit 1
> 2000: start recording disc 1, insert disc 2 in unit 2, listen 73 minutes
> 2113: start recording disc 2
> 2114: disc 1 fills; eject disc 1, insert disc 3 in unit 1, listen 72 minutes
> 2226: start recording disc 3
> 2227: disc 2 fills; eject disc 2, insert disc 4 in unit 2, nap 72 minutes
> 2339: start recording disc 4
> 2340: disc 3 fills; eject disc 3, insert disc 5 in unit 1, nap 72 minutes
> 0052: start recording disc 5
> 0053: disc 4 fills; eject disc 4, insert disc 6 in unit 2, nap 72 minutes
> 0205: start recording disc 6
> 0206: disc 5 fills; eject disc 5, insert disc 7 in unit 1, nap 72 minutes
> 0318: start recording disc 7
> 0319: disc 6 fills; eject disc 6, insert disc 8 in unit 2, nap 72 minutes
> 0431: start recording disc 8, sleep until morning
>
> That way you'll get everything, even the parts that you were awake for but
> couldn't pay much attention to because you were concentrating on switching
> discs, with just under two minutes of overlap at each disc change.  Of
> course, since you'll be groggy during most of the operations, it could help
> to write out the schedule on paper (auf Deutsch), keep it next to the
> recorders, and cross steps out as you do them.
>
> One tip that will save a few seconds more at switch time: make sure beforehand
> that there is a TOC already written on each disc, if only by saving a disc
> title.  It always takes longer to read the TOC of a virginal disc because
> recorders recheck to make sure there really isn't any TOC yet; if there is a
> TOC, it is read in right away.  That may not apply so much here, as the
> schedule allows seventy-two minutes for each TOC read already.

Matthias, Official WebMaster of DJs At Work