The inoxidizable rodent asked,

| What would happen if the record level on the masters from which the CDs
| were pressed was set higher than the allowed threshold (ie, 'OVER' on my
| 702's display) for CD media?

Then the CD would have already been spoiled by clipping in the process of
making a digital master for the CD, those passages would sound clipped when
you listen to the CD, and a digital copy to MD at unity gain would faithfully
preserve the sound as already clipped.  As I've learned here, all digital
media are incapable of representing amplitudes over 0 dB, and digital
recordings must be scaled accordingly.