Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> * Magic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Wed, 13 Oct 1999
> | You can't have a digital source that loud because the absolute highest
> | amplitude you can store is 0dB.
>
> My understanding of it is that "0dB" is actually "infinity - 0dB", where
> "infinity" is the biggest number the recorder can handle (kinda like
> MAXINT).  If oo - 0dB on the CD is greater than oo - 0dB on the recorder,
> then clipping can happen.

The peak amplitude is 0dB. There is no possibility of you ever going over 0dB
because that would be a clipped signal already. There is no way you can
represent a value over 0dB, it just can't happen, the electronics wont allow
it.

> It is not supposed to happen, but it does appear to be happening.  The ~90
> other CDs I have copied with the same hardware sound fine.  Analog playback
> of the CD in question sounds fine.  An analog recording of the CD sounds
> fine.  Clipping only happens when I make a digital copy of that particular
> disc, and it happens with both Sony and Sharp recorders.
>
> Go fig.

Whatever is causing the symptoms is not clipping.

--
Magic

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A book judged by it's cover makes for a very shallow read."