Hi!

> Not necessarily. I have a few CDs which light OVER on digital record and
> then when played back.

Is this a Sony unit? They are known for unprecise level meters showing just
this behaviour.
Of course this is a matter of definition, but there is no reasonable way
a recording could be "over" on playback, as "over" usually means that the
material way beyond the recordably range...

> +16383/-16384 is not an invalid sample in itself. But obviously, unless the
> recording has been digitally scaled, it is likely that this sample value
> would mean clipping.

That's true. Actually, it seems that quite a few commercially available
cds are digitally clipped, at least that's what I read in one of those
audiophile magazines...

Bye,
  Hannes