After I wrote,

T> As I've learned here, all digital media are incapable of representing
T> amplitudes over 0 dB, and digital recordings must be scaled accordingly.

Graham Baker responded,

B> My JA3 allows quite a lot of 'in the red' levels before you can hear any
B> nasties....

Perhaps it is our ears, rather than the machine, that tolerate the clipping.

and Kade Hansson commented,

H> Not necessarily. I have a few CDs which light OVER on digital record and
H> then when played back. I suspect OVER just means the sample was +16383 or
H> -16384. No audible clipping is heard.

Again, maybe our ears just tolerate it and we don't notice.  If a peak is
just barely into positive territory, then the clipping doesn't last long,
it isn't very sharp, and it isn't very deep.

Also, Hannes Rohde pointed out,

R> Is this a Sony unit? They are known for unprecise level meters showing just
R> this behaviour.

In other words, "OVER" isn't necessarily over?  Yet digital recording at
unity gain and playback will never make "OVER" light up.  OK, so the OVER
light could be disabled during playback, but during digital recording at
unity gain (given that it can light during digital recording at positive
gain)?

Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote,

M> A lot of my cds seem to be that way - if I change the digital record
M> level to even +0.1dB the over light is lit almost all the time.

Wish we could average your CDs with mine, Richard.  My problem is that so
many are mastered too softly.  When I record them to MD it is very tedious to
set the gain to make the peak exactly touch 0 dB (because it is so tedious
and imprecise to find the peak), so I settle for getting it above -1 dB.