SSR asked:

At 01:05 PM 10/12/99 -0500, DWT wrote:

>Then the CD would have already been spoiled by clipping in the process of
>making a digital master for the CD, those passages would sound clipped when
>you listen to the CD, and a digital copy to MD at unity gain would faithfully
>preserve the sound as already clipped.  As I've learned here, all digital
>media are incapable of representing amplitudes over 0 dB, and digital
>recordings must be scaled accordingly.

Not necessarily. I have a few CDs which light OVER on digital record and
then when played back. I suspect OVER just means the sample was +16383 or
-16384. No audible clipping is heard.

+16383/-16384 is not an invalid sample in itself. But obviously, unless the
recording has been digitally scaled, it is likely that this sample value
would mean clipping.

--
Archer
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6413/