Graham Baker wrote:

> David Tamkin wrote:
>
> > As I've learned here, all digital
> > media are incapable of representing amplitudes over 0 dB, and digital
> > recordings must be scaled accordingly.
> >

> That's true in theory but in practice Sony seem to have allowed for
> user-error by somehow incorporating a kind of 'soft clipping' to (analog)
> record levels that go over 0dB.
>
> My JA3 allows quite a lot of 'in the red' levels before you can hear any
> nasties....
>
> GB

As far as I know they use a compressor which takes anything in the -2dB to
+4dB range and compresses it into -2dB to 0dB.

--
Magic

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A book judged by it's cover makes for a very shallow read."