Hi Rick,
Good question.
It might affect recording quality by not using all the bits available to
resolve the signal.
In the early days of CD's, the resolution or sound quality of some very
quiet musical passages was spoilt by (quantisation?) noise.
I wonder if it would be the same situation in your case?
(Maybe not as some recorders have some kind of 'floating' sample rate
system)

Whilst you say playback volume is not an issue, even in a top hi-fi system
the very low signal may cause you to run into signal/noise problems,
although the surface noise of the record may be more of a problem than the
background hiss of the amp...:-)

FWIW, I used to record most of my music with levels set to peak at
around -8dB but have found it impossible to get reasonable output out of a
portable with these recordings, so I now record right on or just slightly
over 0dB.

It might be worth experimenting - record a track using normal and low
levels and play them back at the same volume to compare...

How much below 0dB is the peak when you have the level sync functional?

GB