Eric Woudenberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm finally digitizing some vinyl favorites of mine (i.e. recording
> LPs to MD) and I'm puzzling over the recording levels. If I set them
> high enough to peak just under 0dB, the LP surface noise (which seems
> to be about 50dB down) keeps the LEVEL SYNC function from marking
> tracks. I can fix this by just setting the recording level lower, but
> that left me wondering if this might effect recording quality.

Well, you can look at it this way. If the level is high enough to pick
up surface noise,  THAT is surely effecting recording quality.  IMHO,
get rid of the surface noise, since the original acoustic session did
not have  surface noise, is is an analog artifact from the LP itself.

--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker

My first web page