>The answer depends upon the MDS-W1's internal threshold for LEVEL SYNC
>(it's not user settable on this machine). You can imagine that if it's
>very low (e.g. -80dB), I will have to set levels so that the surface
>noise is near the lower limit of what can be recorded. This may cause
>signals at the same level as the surface noise to be lost. For this
>reason, and also since when it's converted back to analog form a
>strong signal has the best SNR, my colleague recommended setting
>recording levels as one normally does (i.e. near 0dB at peak) and
>track marking by hand.
>
>A user settable track marking threshold is the right solution to this
>problem.

is it possible to set the level on your unit (i know that it is on such
units as the sony JE-520)?  If not you could always use a noise gate. What
this does is basically turn the signal off when it gets below a certain
threshold (which you set) and turns it back on when it rises above it, if
you set it to just above the surface noise level, it would bring the signal
on when the music starts, activating the track mark.

Christopher Spalding
Genius, generally excellent and gifted person.