* "Magic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Wed, 08 Mar 2000
| Fair enough, however, modern DIMMs are much much faster than the RAM you
| would find in the MD. The processor is also much much faster. If it takes me
| 3 instructions to do what the ATRAC chip does in 1, that means I can do it
| at the same speed if my processor does instructions in 1/3 of the time.

You are comparing apples and eggs.  The ATRAC DSP does not work the same
way a general purpose processor works.  The measurement is not how many
instructions they can process per second; the measurement is how much data
they can process per second.  And the fact remains that a dedicated DSP can
process more data per second than any current generation desktop PC.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover