From: "Stainless Steel Rat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> * "Magic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Sat, 04 Mar 2000
> | The most obvious solution to this would be to put the ATRAC encoding on the
> | computer end. This means that only 1/5th of the data would need to be sent
> | down the USB interface.
>
> Besides, ATRAC encoding in software is *SLOW* (every MD recorder in the
> world has a specialized, dedicated ASIC for this purpose).  Current desktop
> PC hardware is not powerful enough to encode ATRAC 4 in real time using a
> software encoder.  So any savings you might get for compressing the data
> before transmitting will be lost in the compression process.

Are you quite certain of that, my rodent friend?  I'm very much into emulation
of other hardware on my PC (everything from fairly recent arcade hardware,
back to Space Invaders, various home computers, and the Psion organiser
range) and I reckon a decent PC could encode ATRAC 4 or 4.5 in real-time
with no great difficulty.

My PC can happily (well okay the cpu is almost flat-out in this case) emulate
a 68000cpu at 20MHz, a Z80 at 6MHz, a couple of proprietary sound chips,
then send the sound waveform to my soundcard at 44.1KHz sample rate,
convert the games' original video memory bitmap to something the video
card can use at 60fps, all the while taking user input (movement and fire etc).

If youre suggesting that is less processor intensive than what that little chip
in your R55 or whatever does then I seriously doubt your sanity :-)  Of course
if your desktop PC *is* an original PC (8086 @ 4.77MHz) then you may be
right, but a k6-3/450 with 128mb pc100 ram is frighteningly fast, I finally got
the memory upgrade due to low prices currently and it's made it about 20%
faster on a program that fitted entirely into the old 32mb just cos it's a faster
memory type-- boy am I happy :-)

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -- "if it harms none, do what you will"
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://website.lineone.net/~princegaz/
ICQ: 36892193

Earn a minimum of $20 per hour by watching ads on the net!
Visit http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=10164669