* "Magic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Sun, 05 Mar 2000
| Encoding SPDIF is incredibly simple.

Encoding USB bulk data traffic is not simple.  Look at usb-storage.c in the
current Linux 2.3 kernel source tree sometime (and that is one of the
simpler drivers :).  On top of that, SPDIF over USB has to be managed in
real time, which increases complexity by roughly an order of magnitude.

I am not saying it is impossible; I am saying that it is expensive.

[...]

| You are underestimating the complexity of the PSX.

No, you are underestimating the nature of Fast Fourier Transformations,
which are complex math, and hideously slow to calculate in software on
general purpose computing hardware like desktop PCs.

Bleem! is not an emulator.  Emulation is slow, I mean really slow, I mean
slow like molassas flowing up hill, in Alaska, in winter.  The way Bleem!
functions, it does not translate PlayStation code to Windows code.  It
simply maps PlayStation system calls to DirectX and Windows API calls, so
that most of the processing happens in hardware, not software.  Keep in
mind that the PSX core CPU is roughly as powerful as a 166-200MHz Pentium
class processor (clock speed is utterly meaningless when comparing RISC to
non-RISC architectures).

There is no FFT engine in a desktop PC, so it would need to be emulated in
software.  Big slow down there.  Just for yucks if you can, compare an old
80386 with and without an 80387 math co-processor.  To save you the
trouble, you will find that the '387 can perform floating point
calculations upwards of a hundred times faster than the '386 can manage in
software.  You are looking at the same kind of performance hit for the
FFTs, except even moreso because FFTs are much more complex than simple
things like addition and multiplication.

I would estimate the ASIC in any MD player or recoder is effectively 300 to
600 times more powerful for its one task than any modern desktop PC out there.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \