* Edmund Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Mon, 06 Mar 2000
| Bleem! does, in fact, emulate the MIPS CPU directly.

Well, no:
<URL:http://207.71.8.31/about/FAQ.html>
There is no emulation of the MIPS R3000A in Bleem!.

| It's the only way you can run code for another CPU architecture.  And the
| 33mhz MIPS CPU has nowhere *NEAR* the power of a P166.

Now who is comparing clock speeds or RISC vs. CISC, hmm? :)

| And a P200 will not be able to emulate the Playstation fast enough for
| 3D games using a software renderer.

A 166MHz Pentium with a good sound card and a 3D accelerator will be just
barely fast enough to run Bleem! at a resolution equivalent to your TV set.
This is how I drew my comparison.  Eliminate comparable subsystems from the
list, starting with the 3D accelerator vs. the GTE and GPU on the R3000A.
What you have left when you are done is... nothing.  So comparing a
166-200MHz Pentium to a 33.3MHz R3000A is not absurd at all.

And no, we are not off topic.  The topic at hand is emulating the ATRAC
ASIC in software, in real time.  This whole digression is intended to
inform the list about just how difficult, or even impossible, that is.
Bleem works as well as it does because there is analogous hardware in both
a desktop game PC and a PlayStation.  There is nothing analogous to the
ATRAC ASIC in a MiniDisc player or recorder in any desktop PC.

Oh, and for those wondering what the hoek is an "ASIC", it is an
Application-Specific Integrated Circuit.  That is, it is a semiconductor
circuit designed to perform one specific task or a few related tasks.
The emissions control computer in your car is an ASIC.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ returned to its special container and