> On what do you base this statement? My understanding of ATRAC (based
> upon looking at an ATRAC decoder) is that the computational demands of
> encoding ATRAC are similar to those for MP3. I would expect a software
> ATRAC encoder to run about as fast as an MP3 encoder.

On that note, remember the whole thing with the legal nightmare that is
the Sony Music Clip? That did encoding of ATRAC (albiet ATRAC3) in
software.

I remember reading somewhere (I think it was in a minidisc.org news
update) that ATRAC3 can be easily transcoded into ATRAC1 (or was it the
other way around?).

I guess you would probably be able to encode ATRAC1, but Sony doesn't
want that to happen - legal stuff and all.

- Ed.