> Bleem! is not an emulator.  Emulation is slow, I mean really slow, I mean
> slow like molassas flowing up hill, in Alaska, in winter.  The way Bleem!
> functions, it does not translate PlayStation code to Windows code.  It
> simply maps PlayStation system calls to DirectX and Windows API calls, so
> that most of the processing happens in hardware, not software.  Keep in
> mind that the PSX core CPU is roughly as powerful as a 166-200MHz Pentium
> class processor (clock speed is utterly meaningless when comparing RISC to
> non-RISC architectures).
First off, with regards to the RISC comment:

Clock speed is utterly meaningless when comparing ANYTHING of a mildly
different architecture.

For example, comparing the 450mhz AMD K6-2 to a P3-450 using clock speed
is utterly meaningless. They are both x86 architectures, and will run
the exact same code. The P3 has a nicer FPU, the K6-2 has a good integer
unit. They will run different code at different speeds.

The whole RISC vs. CISC thing is way overrated. RISC is a design
philosophy, not a magic technique which will make a CPU instantly 200%
faster. A RISC CPU is *designed* to have a smaller number of
instructions which have been heavily optimized.

That said, I'd also like to point out that the 33mhz MIPS CPU used in
the PSX does nothing but execute game code. It doesn't have to worry
about operating systems, device drivers, memory protection,
multitasking, networking, et al. Instead, it will execute game code. And
game code. And game code.

Bleem! does, in fact, emulate the MIPS CPU directly. It's the only way
you can run code for another CPU architecture. What it DOES "map" to PC
equivalents is the custom PSX chipset (consisting of 4 seperate chips,
if memory serves correct) and the sound chipset. The emulator will tell
the emulated CPU that this chipset exists and that you can access these
chips directly, and then proceeds to execute the code. Rendering can be
passed onto a 3D hardware accelerator this way.

And the 33mhz MIPS CPU has nowhere *NEAR* the power of a P166.

And a P200 will not be able to emulate the Playstation fast enough for
3D games using a software renderer.

And a P200 will play Street Fighter Zero3 for the PSX at a speed which
is, to borrow a quote from above, not unlike "molassas flowing up hill,
in Alaska, in winter".

But we're straying WAY off topic here.

I just wanted to make some corrections.

- Ed.