The Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

    > because FFTs are much more
    > complex than simple
    > things like addition and multiplication.

I suppose FFT's ARE fairly complex, although they are implemented as a load
of additions and multiplications.

    > I would estimate the ASIC in any MD player or recoder is
    > effectively 300 to
    > 600 times more powerful for its one task than any modern
    > desktop PC out there.

This looks like an unsubstantiated guess, and MY (unsubstantiated) guess is
that he is overestimating by 1000 to 10000 times. Without detailed knowledge
of the algorithms involved, this is fairly idle speculation.

simon