> I think that you are wrong about that.
>
> Any thought go into that, or is it a generic Yank "Rest of the world? We
> ARE the world!" comment? :-) I said I was guessing, and I notice a lot of
> non-US email addresses. Remember too that .com/.org/.net don't belong to
> the US - people living in many other countries use them too (in fact, the
> MD-L is hosted at the London-based amulation.com). To all these non-US
> people, posts about coupons are useless if they couldn't use them anyway.

I have been a member of this list for many years.  I was simply stating that over
the years the majority of the the posts that I have seen have been from people in
the US.  In all of the years that I have been on this list, can't recall a this
country vs that fight starting.  I hope that you are just joking.

In the real world I sometimes hear that the people from France don't like
Americans.  I'm hoping that really isn't true.  But the English and US??  Never any
negative feelings.  The US was created by a bunch of Englishmen.  I really don't
want to start generalizing, but people from the US generally love and admire the
British.

For the most part, an enemy of one of these two great countries is an enemy of the
other.  And the definition of friends is "two people made at the same person :).

> > > As someone else suggested, set up a separate list of
> > > your own for those that _want_ to recieve your coupon mails and leave the
> > > MD-L for actual MD discussion.
> >
> >It will never happen.  This is a non censored list (at least that's what
> >Rick W.
> >recent told me).  If you see Peter's name when you receive your e mail, just
> >press the delete button.  Also, isn't there a way to filter out e mail
> >addresses
> >you don't want to receive on many browses?
>
> It was a _suggestion_ for Peter to sort out a method that would be better
> for all parties - those on the MD-L that don't want to get coupon mailings
> every other day won't, those that want them do. It wasn't meant to be read
> as an intention of censorship - the list is unmoderated and so it should
> stay. Doing what you suggest (filtering by address) _would_ mean that many
> people stop reading what Peter has to say, which would be a shame.

I was referring to each individual filter his/her own personal setup if they
personally did not want to get e mail from Peter.

> >I disagree and encourage Peter to let us know when there are real super deals
> >happening like $15 off on $25 and NO SHIPPING.
>
> >You may have some magic source for getting blanks, but I know I don't and
> >when I
> >can get 80 minute blanks for less than $1.40, I want to know about it.
>
> So why not find out via a separate list or just by going to his coupon page?
>
> >If people want to complain about things that are not available in their
> >country
> >fine.  It was just a minor inconvenience, but if people want to be like
> >that, I
> >am sick and tired of hearing about all of the specials that they are
> >running at
> >Riches or what ever it is called, in the UK.
>
> I'll explain the reasons for my "complaint" (well, more of an informal
> suggestion to change something):
>
> - The number of coupon posts has gone up significantly - over the last 2
> weeks, there's been one every other day.
>
> - These coupons are from, and for, a commercial company that Peter is
> financially involved with (at least, that's what I infer from him having a
> "store" there), which goes against the non-commercial nature of lists like
> this.
>
> It's pretty simple - Peter sends his coupons mails to as many people as
> possible, some of them buy stuff from him via the coupons, he makes
> money.  When a list member points out a particularly good deal on
> something, they're not profiting from it. Incidentally, the last time
> Richer Sounds was mentioned on the MD-l was back in July, and that was a
> request for comments on a Pioneer unit that they were selling (and that's
> sold worldwide). The last post about an offer they were doing was 7th June.
> There's also a separate UK MD list, where such country-specific stuff gets
> discussed.

Yes, I'm sure that Peter makes money from that.  But there has been a long history
of commercial posts on this list.  So it is not like Peter has started doing
something that has never been done before.  As for the recent frequency of his
coupon posts, these are extremely good deals and are about to expire.  I think that
his way he was doing it.

I really don't think that he is doing it so he can get rich.  I think that at least
in small part he is trying to help the MD community.

> As I've said to Peter before - the best way to promote your business on
> non-commercial community lists is to follow the Core Sound example; act as
> a normal list member and contribute with sound advice wherever possible.
> Post from a company email account and include a short sig with your URL and
> maybe a line with your current offer, but leave it at that.

I believe that you mean Core Sound.  Core Sound is the most extreme example of non
abuse.  Len should get a metal for his actions (or lack of).  But Core Sound is the
extreme.  Most other companies fall somewhere in the middle.

> Associate your
> company with in-depth knowledge and sound advice and you'll have no
> problems. Spamming coupons every other day, like constant TV ads, are the
> quickest way to annoy people.

If there are a lot of people annoyed, they are keeping quiet about it Simon.  Like
I said before, people know who an email is coming from before they read it.  They
can always press delete.

> I don't think that any of what I've said sounds unreasonable - I just think
> that Peter's system would work a lot better if he was in direct contact
> with those that _want_ to receive his coupon mails.

Simon, have you ever tried to hunt for coupons?  It is often a long and difficult
task.  There must be millions of coupons on the net and thousands of sites to hunt
through.

> No I don't think it is fair that there are deals on the net that are limited to
> certain countries (as I stated before).  But there really isn't anything that I
> can do about that.  It's going to have to be an International awakening.

Didn't have to to proof read this one.  With apologies from the resident dyslexic,
Regards,
Larry