Bruce explained,

| ... my CD-R doesn't handle 80 minute CD-Rs ...

That's unusual AFAIK.  Are you sure it's your CDR hardware and not just your
burning software?  In either case, nothing comparable applies to MD units:
they all handle 80-minute discs.

| If and when there is a mini-disk player that plays/records MP3s, then I
| will spend the money because that would be going from 74 minutes to 600
| minutes.

How do you figure that?  128-kbps MP3's take almost a meg per minute, so
you would get around 2 1/4 hours per MD, less than mono SP ATRAC.  132-kbps
ATRAC3 LP2 gets 2 1/2 hours per MD, so maybe I'm underestimating a little,
but ten hours is four times that, so the bitrate would have to be about 32
kbps, and that would not sound good at all.  Would you really want to hear
ten hours or even ten minutes of that?

Right now there is a very easy way to have ten hours of music available to
play on an MD: take eight discs with you instead of one (or record in mono
or LP2 and carry only four discs).

| Are you familiar with the Voquette software?

No, but others here are.