"David W. Tamkin" wrote:
How do you figure that?  128-kbps MP3's take almost a meg per minute,

David, the problem is that Bruce is thinking in megs and computer files not
PCM.  If the MD could store MP3 files and then further compress them through
ATRAC he would get the length of music that he thought.

But first of all, as you know MDs can only deal with uncompressed analog or
digital (PCM) music.  Second of all even if it could store computer files and
compress them 5 to 1, imagine what a song would sound like that had been
compressed twice by two different techniques?

In saying compressing compressed files, not decompressing MP3 and them encoding
them to ATRAC.  But that's nuts to even think about doing.  Compressing music 5
times is already pushing the envelop.

I do have a question though.  MP3 files have a bit rate of 128 and under ideal
conditions it has been argued that MP3 files sound as good as ATRAC.  Lets just
accept for the moment that under ideal conditions that is true.  If Sony wanted
too get as much time out of an MD as possible why did they choose such a high
bit rate in the first place?

It's kind of hard to really tell using things like Napster because the quality
of the MP3s can vary depending upon the source that you are getting them from,
but in my experience, MP3 with a bit rate of 160 and the the "standard" 128
sound exactly the same too me.

I doubt that even listening to those files with real high bit rates would do any
more than just take up more megs.

Larry