Larry wrote,

| David, the problem is that Bruce is thinking in megs and computer files not
| PCM.

Or that he's thinking in PCM and not in ATRAC.  In a later post he implied
that he thought an MD stored 650 Mb of uncompressed audio (ergo his calcu-
lation that one MD could hold ten hours of 128-kbps MP3s).  MDs already hold
compressed audio, and I think MDLP should pretty much satisfy his desire for
smaller files at lower bit rates.

| ... imagine what a song would sound like that had been compressed twice by
| two different techniques?

Pretty bad, probably, but not multiplicatively: dubbing a 12:1 MP3 file to
MD and putting it through 5:1 ATRAC would not result in 60:1 lossiness, be-
cause most of what both discard is what's supposed to be psychoacoustically
null, so the ATRAC discards are concentrated in the data extrapolated in
playing back the MP3 file rather than in the data preserved during MP3 en-
coding.

| Compressing music 5 times is already pushing the envelope.

An even lower bit rate has become the most common one for MP3 files, so it
seems a lot of people can stand it even worse.