Hello!

Lately, I've been re-recording my old (8 years old!) MDs with my MZ-R90,
since they were recorded with my (8 years old, too!) MZ-1. I am very happy
with the results when using the MDs with my new portable, but I was
wondering about the process of ATRAC decoding.

A long time ago, I read that if  and when ATRAC was upgraded, the benefits
would be heard on the old units, since ATRAC was only an encoding process. I
thought back then that the playback process would be reading the information
on the disc and passing it to the DAC. Now I've seen at www.minidisc.org an
article that says that the benefits of decoding a newer version of ATRAC in
an older machine are subtle.

Does anyone know how ATRAC really works??

Also, I had a strange problem on my MZ-1. I recorded audio off a DVD with
96/24 resolution (truncated to 48khz), and although it plays perfectly on
the R90, it skips on the MZ-1. All the other discs work fine on both
machines. That was funny.

Thanks!

Francisco.