las wrote:

> Stainless Steel Rat wrote:
>
> > Ahem.  FYI, Lincoln is a Ford Motor Company company, just like Mercury.
> >
> > (sigh)
>
> NO KIDDING!  But in you constant effort to be contrary you failed to get my
> point!  The Ford motor company manufactures Lincolns, but there are no Lincoln
> models that can be directly compared to Fords.  The Mercury division manufactures
> models that are identical to Ford models (except for some cosmetic changes).
>
> The usually even share the same sheet metal.  But the Lincoln is totally
> different from either the Ford or Mercury.  It just happens to be owned by the
> Ford motor company.

Actually, Lincolns ARE built on modified Ford platforms.  Or at least
they were.  I used to own a Ford so I had interest in them at one time.
Lincoln Town Car is built on a stretched version of the same platform as
the Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis.
Lincoln Continental is built on a stretched Ford Taurus/Sable platform.
Lincoln Mark VIII was built on a Ford Thunderbird/Cougar platform.

However, this doesn't prove Rat's point either, because Lincolns are
much more similar to Ford-branded vehicles than Sony's are to Aiwa's.
Lincolns fit the definition of being "rebadged" better than Aiwa MD
players do (prior to the AM-F90 anyway).  IMO, the analogy didn't fit
from the beginning.

Shawn