I have to go with Leinir's excellent points on this and diverge with you
Gabriel.

This isn't about "us vs them".  Intel is a part of the community.  And as for
"their every word and action being scrutinized", that's inflammatory and
hyperbolic.   Let's avoid extreme dialog.

Yes there will always be malcontents who are never happy and do indeed question
everything and anything, but they are always a tiny (but loud) portion of a
community and, to be blunt, don't hold opinions worth losing sleep over.  In
fact anyone engaging in counterproductive activity (Dave's antipatterns) and
little else isn't a true community member IMO.  They are trolls.

On the other hand, community members who aren't beholden to corporate
sponsors/participants are obliged to keep corporate interests in check and
drive a high degree of transparency.  Without it, you have no community-- just
a mob fed by walled gardeners.

A productive community requires leadership and, yes, management to stay on
track and also make sure minority voices (contributing ones) are heard and
heeded.  The MeeGo community did get off to a rough start, and there have
certainly been too many instances of "because we say so" from administrative
quarters, and it is only by virtue of volunteer will that we are developing
into a true community.  Let's err to that.

Randy