"Virtuous" community?  I'm not sure sarcasm is helpful either.  ;)

> So, I don't think I was being inflammatory... I really think
> this is the way things are.

I still think you're blaming the whole for the acts of a few.

> > On the other hand, community members who aren't beholden
> > to corporate sponsors/participants are obliged to keep
> > corporate interests in check and drive a high degree of
> > transparency. Without it, you have no community-- just
> > a mob fed by walled gardeners.
>
> This sounds "us vs them." A struggle between classes. Just
> saying. :-)

It was meant more in the sense of roles than classes.  But I could have made
that clearer.

> Look, I think we all agree on open source.
>
> We disagree that open /development/ is always the right
> thing to do in every case. I think that time-to-market is
> more important.

And I'm not saying the latter isn't.  I believe an effort that errs to open can
actually improve time-to-market, if by no other virtue than sheer scale and
skill of resources.

It all comes down to management.

Randy