The combustion of 40,000 gallons of aviation fuel, along with the
design of the building and the impact damage did them in.  In fact,
the buildings preformed quite well, considering they were designed to
withstand the impact of a fully loaded 707, a much smaller plane.
Should have ben designed for a 747, because they were flying then,
but the design was old before construction started (no one wanted
them, and in fact they were owned by the Port Authority, a government
agency, because no one could figure out a way to make them
profitable).  Those towers stood for HOURS with a big chunk of the
main structural element broken and a major "heat event" going on
inside.  Aviation fuel burns hot -- it wasn't just the contents as
would be the case in a more normal building fire, although there was
plenty of combustible material in there.

I don't think any current building would have stood indefinitely
under those conditions -- a major failure in the main structural
member (the outside skin) and steel softening heat.

There were problems -- if the stairwells had been concrete instead of
4" drywall, likely nearly everyone would have gotten out, and the
death toll would have been even lower that the 3500 or so it is.
Remember, on a busy morning there are usually 50,000 or so people in
those two towers, for more than 90% of the typical occupants to have
escaped is astonishing.  The buildings would still have come down, I
don't think you can build one that will withstand that kind of
damage, even government owned.

Fire was indeed the major cause of the collapse, the last I heard.
No steel structure that I know of has ever had an entire plane load
of fuel burned inside it AFTER sustaining serious structural damage.
You cannot build a building that will NOT collapse once one floor
goes, there wouldn't be enough room inside to rent!  The fire, along
with fairly fragile fire resistant coatings, heated the floor beams
and attaching bolts until they sagged and the bolts failed.
Eventually the load of collapsed flooring exceeded the strength of
the exterior walls, the man structural element in the building, and a
catastrophic failure and progressive collapse ensued.  Watch the
videos of the collapse carefully, and you will see the exterior wall
begin to explode outward, then the building come down.

Peter