I was joking, we are discussing the conspiracy theory that says
someone deliberately blew up a perfectly good building, right?

The extent of damage is rather difficult to estimate -- the building
had been evacuated when the towers came down, as had all the adjacent
ones, and between the debris, fire, and lack of water pressure, and
lack of manpower, no systematic examination was preformed (duh!), and
when things had settled down a bit, it was obvious to the fire chief
that the building was collapsing and he cleared the area.

The failure is probably due to the very large gash down the front AND
the burning diesel fuel, stored well above ground because the
building was built OVER a ConEd substation.  This resulted is an
unusual design, with the vertical supports each holding up 2000 sq
ft. per floor, rather high if not unprecedented.  It appear that the
gash in the front facade contained one of these columns, and the
failure proceeded upwards to the East utility penthouse.  This is
visible on some video.  The fire chief evacuated the area when the
west side of the building began to visibly bulge and start shedding
glass, and the building collapsed shortly afterward as the failure
propagated along floors 5 and 7, both much heavier than the other
floors.

There were several fairly intense fires generating very large amounts
of black smoke, typical of fuel fires, and the fuel tanks were
reported to be breached and possibly burning by the fire crews before
they evacuated early in the event, so yes, fire did have a lot to do
with the ultimate failure -- steel looses strength long before it
gets red hot, and to my amateur eye, there was insufficient
redundancy in the structure to survive loss of a single vertical
column, and it's likely there was more damage not visible.

The building that ended up with a giant spear of outer structure from
the towers (DuetscheBank?  I don't remember) did not catch fire, but
was demolished if I remember correctly due to non-repairable damage.

Deliberate demolition does not consist of sticking a chunk of
explosive on a few structural elements and smacking the detonator --
the building is deliberately weakend so that it is quite unstable and
unable to stand, and the explosives are used only to trigger a
controlled collapse.  The objective, of course, is to drop the center
of the building first, and land the outer walls on the debris to trap
it and contain the rubble.  Those buildings are NOT safe to enter,
and every once in a while don't implode exactly right.  I don't know
of any offhand that have fallen prematurely, but it's not an
amateur's occupation, those guys are all structural engineers, and
good ones.  No building that can be imploded by a small amount of
explosive will stand for long, especially full of furniture, people,
and moving elevators.

The notion that someone deliberately imploded the building is non-
sense -- doesn't look like anything but an unplanned collapse to me.
No central collapse, it went pretty much straight down and made a
much larger mess than it if has been planned.  Besides, no one
implodes buildings in the center of a major city, they take them
apart instead.

Peter