Sorry, missed that.

Seven?  I would suspect it was filled with asbestos and concrete
dust, had the windows blown in, the air conditions smashed, and was
generally battered around enough that it would be cheaper to replace
than refurbish.  Most of the buildings in the immediate vicinity
suffered considerable damage.

And it was the Port Authority's building.  Maybe they wanted all new,
who knows?

Peter