Mitch Haley wrote:
> Somewhere I've got a picture of a burned out barn with steel beams drooped
over a wooden
> beam.

If you read the article that Mitch referenced, you'll see further down the
difference between a glue-lam wooden composite beam and a steel
beam...making the point that steel can and does fail before some wood
structures.

I did some googling and found the following excellent discussion by a fire
department expert.  Based on my somewhat limited knowledge of structural
engineering (I'm a petroleum engineer by training, but I had to take all the
same core courses as the structural guys, and I my Dad was a structural
engineer), this guy knows what he is talking about.  One of his points is
that the steel trusses were the weak points, and all fire departments know
that.  Once one part of a truss fails, the rest of the truss can fail
quickly as undamaged parts have to pick up the loads of other parts that
failed.  He also mentions the problems with failed insulation on the steel,
I have seen mentioned several times in discussions about WTC.  Of course,
that was partially due to issues with asbestos, and you can just imagine the
restrictions in NYC for dealing with asbestos.

Bottom line, I'm tired of hearing about "conspiracies" other than the one
where 19 terrorists climbed on board undefended airliners, slit the throats
of women, and bravely drove those planes into buildings that housed over
3000 civilians.

As an aside...we're visiting in-laws in Oklahoma City and yesterday went to
the site of the 1995 bombing.  I'm sorry they executed Tim McVeigh....I
would rather they caged him up and kept him at the site so people could kick
his ass.

Royce