Well I guess I am not that much of a car nut, a bit of dirt on the family workhorse does not bother me, things not working does bother me. So what if my wheels are not shiny, if people want to judge me on the condition of my rims then I don't really want to know them. The pictures don't make me angry at all, if people get joy out of spending their weekend polishing a car then good luck to em, my weekends are taken up with maintenance (of 8+ pieces of equipment), home repair/improvements, doing the bookwork for the business, social events and spending time with the kids. Perhaps one day I will catch up with all the things I NEED to do and then I can do things that are superfluous, such as making the family truck wheels shiny. Yeah I suppose I need a better camera to impress people with the quality of my photos but there again I don't really care if they are not up to someone else's standard. I don't want to stereotype but I would think that most of the people who display their cars do not use them as everyday transport, don't let their kids (if they have any) anywhere near them and the local shopping center car park is a definite must avoid. If I had the time, money or space for a fancy model Merc then I would agree that I have somewhat of a responsibility to maintain that vehicle to a high standard but a common 300TE with crappy paint is not something I am going to get all weird about. Funny thing is that a 22 year old car can do the same job as a brand new car but I am not stressed if it gets another scratch, to add to the 100's it has acquired in it's 22 years of service and the thing is that if I maintain it, it may give another 22 years of service or until it is banned by the government. And Roger, if you're car was one vote short of winning, doesn't that mean it drew for 1st place? Although I do agree with you in the regard that a near new MB which has had a professional detail done, is not deserving to win a show, an old MB which was restored by the owner back to a concourse standard is deserving. I'll be sure to stock up on my medicine, which comes in cans or bottles, so I can view your quality pictures without dropping a valve. BTW there where some nice cars at the show and thank you for the close up shots of all those nice and clean wheels, almost makes me want to clean mine.....almost, have to keep working on a couple of retaining walls, which will need cleaning once finished. I would post pictures of the walls, once finished, but am afraid my camera is not up to the job.

Hendrik
who really likes that pontoon but would settle for the 240D

relng...@aol.com wrote:
..Get a bigger hammer Roger and tell us what magic you used on the near new C class to impress people. The problem I see is that if it is anything like last year, there will be people parking their precious things near trees. The horror, imagine if a bird flew over a shiny car and............no I can't say it, just the thought of it drives me to declare that any future car shows must be conducted indoors. You're best off not to post pictures of the show, we would be horrified to see MB cars outdoors.....

What puzzles me is why these pictures make you so angry. Do they make you feel guilty because of the state of your vehicle? Although because of the poor quality of your posted photos, I couldn't be sure. Face it, a lot of people like to maintain their capital equipment which also can be a hobby. Now that I think about it, I doubt any of these machines are smoked in.

This event is not a Concours but a social event with some minor awards. For example, there is a People's Choice award where all car owners and spectators vote by ballot on the car they liked best. At the 2009 show, the President told me later that my car was one vote short of winning that award (I never vote) which surprised me since it's always a Gullwing or similar that is chosen. It must be the color and the lack of dirt. I intend to post pictures of the 2011 show in two weeks but I'll forewarn you since I would hate to bring on one of your spells.

RLE