So, what is the difference between fog lights and driving lights and when
can you use driving lights?

My understanding is that what were called "driving lights" were
basically auxiliary high beams, and should be treated as such.

Are the clear lights in my Euro headlights
fogs or driving lights? They sure are nice for lighting up the sides of
the road to look for deer.

Interesting question.  I'd say that if they have a sharp upper cutoff
and a wide pattern that they're fogs, but that if you find them useful
as auxiliary lighting in your situation then go for it.  Likely that
they should be extinguished when meeting oncoming traffic, though.
You could experiment, have somebody else drive past you with them on
and off, especially in the rain.

My Frankenheap sports both auxiliary driving lights _and_ fog lights,
in addition to its Euro headlight/foglight original equipment.

I got them at Harbor Freight, they're complete steaming piles of
plastic crap, yet they work great.  The driving lights have slowly
migrated upwards and outwards, they now light the trees along my
path.  The thing is that they _do_ light the ditches too, for deer
spotting, and when on the curves and dips near home, where the
deer threat is worst, the bad pattern actually lights the road
better than the main lights.  So I leave them where they are.
They're on relays with the high beams, they aren't on when I
meet oncoming traffic.

The fog lights are low on the bumper and also facing outwards.
The reflectors in the stock lights are so bad that they're more
like parking lights than fog lights, so the auxiliaries really
help.  I almost _never_ use them, we haven't had much fog in
the years since I got the car.  Yet I remember years where I
was driving with the door open in order to see the stripe next
to my car, so I hope I'm ready for that again.

-- Jim