we could only hope it was that logical,...
sadly, it doesn't seem like it was ever only about projecting a good beam pattern (note the poor beam pattern control and high glare exhibited by so many Amerikun cars lights!). otherwise we would have been able to use all the better-quality sealed-bulb H4-style lights in the US that the rest of the world has had for decades already,... (oddly enough, lights of the same technology were allowed for use here by Motorcycles; especially odd when you consider that motos tip in normal cornering, rendering the same horizontal cut-off patterns largely irrelevant.)

sorry, but we're probably subject to the laws that say something like: "shall be marked with the symbol "DOT". bottom line; if those Euro lamps some of us like so much have lenses that don't have a DOT logo molded into them, they're not legal.

cheers!