The resets are part of the troubleshooting process, and are documented in the
Apple service literature. While they don't always yield a change in the issue,
they are valid steps that the Genius or repair personnel will enlist before
moving forward.

The nVidia issue is clearly documented on Apple's Support site, which I believe
also includes a serial number check utility that will tell the user if their
machine is included in the replacement campaign.

Dan (GSX certified Apple Tech)