It's pretty much got to be either an injector or the pump right?  Can
the pumps wear/fail in a way that affects only one cylinder?

Unless the cam had a lobe come off or something, but I've never heard of
that happening.

What else could cause a miss on a diesel?

Might just need a diesel-purge treatment and then an italian tune up
drive home.

--
1983 300D
1979 300SD