Allan, et al.
This may not apply.
When I picked up "Blue" in R.I. it was running on 4 out of 5 cyls. (602.961 '87 190Dt). After putting in an huge battery and getting it running drove it home on 4, about 120 miles. When I diagnosed the problem, it turned out to be a loose delivery valve assy. on #1, tightening it up made it run much better, replacing all the seals and copper discs made it run almost smoothly. Subsequently I decided that the I.P. must have suffered some damage by running on 4 for who knows how long before I got it. It idles OK cold (up to 40f) and hot it runs with a weak #1 cyl at idle up to 900 rpm.
Above that it runs smoothly and economically.
One other thing to remember is that the earlier head gaskets were prone to fail on #1. and leak at the rear by #5.
HTH.

Fred Moir
Lynn MA
Diesel preferred