If you have something big enough to pull it home you could drive out
with plan A to quick-fix it, and plan B to rent a U-Haul trailer (not a
dolly) one-way to pull it home.

You don't want a dolly for at least two reasons, first you'd have to
unhook the driveshaft on the car; secondly they don't have brakes,
meaning you would need a very substantial tow vehicle.  The full car
trailer has surge brakes that help with stopping and reduce the tendency
to jacknife if the roads are wet or icy and your tow vehicle is too
light.  Without brakes on the trailer you are asking the tow vehicle's
brakes to do all the work of stopping itself, the trailer, and another
car, and likely they are not up to the task.

Oh and also you can back up with the trailer, not possible with the
dolly at least not more than a few feet.

Allan

Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> writes:

> It takes three things to make "far in the hole"   Heat (Compression)
> Fuel, and oxygen.  A miss can be scored cyl or broken piston (Rare), A
> bad IP (rare)  or a bad nozzle (common), or lack of oxygen  (rare, but
> a rag left in the intake could do it if it didn't get drawn into the
> cylinder)
>
> I'd play the odds, and go with a supply of filters and a spare injector assy.
>

>> having done the "oops, I got an eBay care" deal, I would advise
>> trailer home.  If you are pretty sure it is a small issue, have an
>> indy (find a local lister to assist) go over it to make it safe to
>> drive home.  Fresh fluids and filters all around before you drive.
>>
>> Issue is not a glow plug if you only have 4 working
>> pistons. Injector problem if you have miss past the first few
>> minutes.  Once it warms up you will get fire on all five.  E300D had
>> bad #6 glow and you would have rough start, then a few blocks later
>> it was full power again.
>>

>>clay
>>
>>1972 220D - Gump - She is green, simple and ran
>>1995 E300D - Cleo - Used by the Queen of Denial
>>POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers

1983 300D
1979 300SD