Scott Ritchey wrote:
A shotgun is clearly the most effective home defense weapon providing you
can get to it, the perp is not too close, and you don't need to move around
the house with it.  Shotguns have more stopping power than any handgun.
Magazine extensions are available to add a couple more shot shells (although
it makes the gun a bit front-heavy).  But I wouldn't depend on the pump
sound to do much.

I did the "pump sound" thing once.
Woke in the night, thought I heard a voice.
Cracked open a window, racked the 12ga, went back to bed with the shotgun in
reach.
Didn't hear another sound and was asleep again in 1/2 hour or so.

Mitch.