No, it's not a surprise, but when you consider that when she was entering the
workforce with a high level skill a college degree was not a requirement.
There was never the attitude of "I can get away without," just that in her
particular discipline people could (at one time) progress based on their
experience and track record.  She has been working towards getting a B.S. or
B.A. for close to 20 years while still holding down a full time job, so it's
not like she has dismissed the idea that a degree isn't necessary.

The thing that I get frosted about is how an employer patently dismisses
potential candidates who are well qualified with a proven track record simply
because they don't have a degree.  What about those who don't have degrees in
related disciplines? Shouldn't they be disqualified as well?  If I have a
degree in Art History it suddenly qualifies me to work in a given position that
might not be remotely related to my educational background?  The simple fact
that I was able to make it through four or five years of college qualifies for
something?

For those of us who have college degrees, we all experienced someone in our
class who was a total idiot, yet they managed to make it through.  What did
college do for that person?

Dan