There is an inertial damper on getting poor employees out of government, but
there is also the up or out process that a few agencies practice.  If you are
unable to proceed up the ladder within a certain time period, you get to leave.
 Harsh, but effective.  Around Seattle area, the firefighters are choosing to
go out on disability than face forced retirement.  This allows them to get a
bit less each month, but it is all tax free.

clay