Some interesting stories on Planet Money last week about welfare and
disability, and how the number of people on SSI has ballooned over the past
10-15 years. Why?  Because the SSA doesn't really challenge applicants,
especially those who hire legal representation to make their claim.  This has
made some law firms literally billions of dollars at our expense.

Add to this that the states like to move people from welfare to disability,
because SSI is a Federal program while welfare is partially funded by the state.

Dan