I now use an electric chain saw for "little" stuff (some probably bigger than I should). People pass in the street and see me out in the yard with my walker and a chain saw and get "all excited." Occasionally somebody with stop, get out and come up to me asking with eyes wide, "Are you OK?" so far I've been able to answer, "Yes, I'm OK, I know what I'm doing, and I can handle it." What I'd like to say is, "Just leave me the hell alone." (I have trouble walking without aid only - if I can get to it, I can do it.)

Coupla days ago, I had pulled front wheels of my JD garden tractor/mower up onto edge of a small terrace in front yard with rear wheels still on lower level in order to elevate mower deck so I could reach under it to free a branch caught under it. 'Left engine off, tranny in gear and brakes locked and dismounted; 'was lying down beside the mower and reaching up under the deck when I heard some commotion behind me; 'raised up and looked around to find two "excited" women running across yard toward me, one of 'em calling 911. I quickly told them, "I'm OK - just trying to clear an obstruction under the deck - I'm OK, but thank you for your concern. You did the right thing, and don't hesitate to do it again, if you think somebody is in trouble. Thank you."

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Crone" <bb...@crone.us>
To: "Mercedes List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: chain saws

On May 10, 2013 9:26 PM, "Allan Streib" <str...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

Needs to be gas-powered, too large a lot for electric to be practical.

For intermittent use, electric makes a lot of sense.  Maintenance is
easier, safety is easier (pull the plug), much lighter to carry and wield.
I've used as much as 200' of 12 gauge extension cord, though it is
important to check the manual how far you can go.

Anyway, if you can't you can't, I just wanted to point out that there are
several real advantages to electric saws.

Best,
Tim