I have one of those orange things from Lowes, once I get it running it is pretty good. It takes a while to get started, might be the crappy gas or something. I have a 45 or 50 yo Homelite XL that I like but the pickup got goobered and I have not fixed it. It has no safety features whatsoever but ran and cut great. I remember when my dad bought it, I think he used it like twice.

--R

Any chainsaw should have the gas tank empties and run dry. I have a 30 YO chainsaw that i took to the shop once, just 'cuz I figgered it was time after 30 years.

Mix the gas ratio carefully and consistently. Don't put the mixed gas in your saw if it smells old.

These two are for ppl like me who use a saw only on occasion:
Dump out any gas that is left over when the job is done. Then run the saw out of gas before storing.

That's the only way my saw made it 30 yrs without seeing a shop. I wanted to have a kit put in the carb before the saw guy retired to kicked the bucket. SO, it should be good for the next 30 yrs...