It's been my experience that there is an "old guard" of folks in government
service who are truly the poster children for the public's perception of
government workers.

Having been in both private and public sectors, I don't see a whole lot of
difference in the people these days. Yes, there are probably more slackers in
public service, but the nature of the organization simply allows for such
behavior. As government becomes more like the private sector, that will go away.

Our county government is such that it is customer (taxpayer) driven, and our
County Administrator places that value at the top of the list. There's no nasty
people at the DMV or horror stories of trying to wade through the bureaucracy
to get something done. If this occurs, he's on it in no time and the offenders
are out or banished to some distant site in the County to be rehabilitated.

County government is much smaller, agile, and far easier to change, I believe.
That being said, it's a top-down sort of attitude. Otherwise, the inmates run
the asylum.

Dan

Sent from my iPad