Christopher McCann wrote:
the sealed units lasted me 5 months/10,000 miles. They each died within 1 day
of the other.

That's VERY short life. All of my OE lamps have lasted in excess of 100kmi (some nearly double that) but I have NO idea how many hours of lamp operation that amounts to. I enjoy night driving and made long trips at night whenever possible, but I'm sure it did not comprise the majority of my driving.

The life of the lamps WILL be inversely (but not linearly) proportional to the output from the voltage regulator. All other things being equal, if your voltage regulator limits the alternator output to 13.8 V or a bit less (as the OE regulators in my cars did) the lamp life will be almost double that of lamps run with a voltage regulator output of 14.4 V. Small changes in voltage translate in large changes in lamp life.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi