I dunno, I've tried just putting higher wattage bulbs in my Subaru's
headlights and the difference was really hard to tell if at all.
But I used to have a 91' Isuzu Impulse with the 5" round lights, and
switching to E-codes on that made a HUGE difference in lighting.

>From what I've read it IS because of the pattern.  Simply because the US has
stupid regulations that mandate that the headlights shine about 1/2 the
light output up in the air (for overhead signs).  And if you've screwed up
the low beams that much, you'll never get the full output for the high beams
without a second set of lights.
The E-codes are actually LESS annoying to oncoming drivers since the light
is aimed at the road and not up in the air!

Levi (: