Okay, I've been trying to hold back but, what is it about "improved" lighting? I have absolutely no problem with the standard headlights in my 240D and I pretty much can't imagine why I'd need more light. I almost never use the highbeams now...

If you never get to go where it's very dark, the differences in lighting
are much less apparent.  Most people live and drive where there is lots
of traffic, or streetlights.

And people's eye sensitivity does vary a lot, it seems to me.

The benefit of the Hella E-codes in the SL was _not_ the 'improved'
lighting pattern, though there is some difference there, but the
fact that higher wattage bulbs can then be used.

The true euro lights of the Frankenheap do have a nice low-beam
pattern.  An even wide spread with a sharp cutoff and a nice rise
to the right.  But, given that it uses R2 bulbs and the reflectors
are aged they're none too bright.  It's rarely dark enough to
appreciate their lighting pattern.  One of the R2's died and I
flanged in an H4.  It's notably brighter, but the pattern degraded
a bit.

-- Jim