Our 85 300CD has Euro lights with some high output bulbs from Daniel [can't
remember last name] Lighting.  I thought they were great and was proud of them.
 But the long-time Benz gurus here in Seattle have declared them inappropriate
for our area here because of the hills around here.  The sharp upper cutoff in
the pattern either leaves the driver blind when climbing hills or blinds the
oncoming traffic when descending, or both.  And that is exactly what happens.
With low beams we get flashed by oncoming drivers going uphill, but the pattern
is on spec and is scary enough on hills without lowering it further.   The old
DOT headlights don't have that problem.

  Bruce

Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  > Okay, I've been trying to hold back but, what is it about "improved"
> lighting? I have absolutely no problem with the standard headlights in
> my 240D and I pretty much can't imagine why I'd need more light. I
> almost never use the highbeams now...

If you never get to go where it's very dark, the differences in lighting
are much less apparent. Most people live and drive where there is lots
of traffic, or streetlights.

And people's eye sensitivity does vary a lot, it seems to me.

The benefit of the Hella E-codes in the SL was _not_ the 'improved'
lighting pattern, though there is some difference there, but the
fact that higher wattage bulbs can then be used.

The true euro lights of the Frankenheap do have a nice low-beam
pattern. An even wide spread with a sharp cutoff and a nice rise
to the right. But, given that it uses R2 bulbs and the reflectors
are aged they're none too bright. It's rarely dark enough to
appreciate their lighting pattern. One of the R2's died and I
flanged in an H4. It's notably brighter, but the pattern degraded
a bit.

-- Jim

Bruce
82 300CD 334kmi 'His'
85 300CD 240kmi 'Hers'
75 240D 202kmi 'Donner'
77 240D 204kmi 'Blitzen'

Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.